2 Medium sweet potatoes
4½ cups chicken stock
4 Slices bacon
1 tbsp Olive oil
400g Mushrooms, sliced
½ Red onion, chopped
3 Large cloves garlic
1½ cups Arborio rice
1 tbsp Fresh thyme, minced
1 tsp Dried sage or
1 tbsp fresh 1 tsp Salt, divided
½ tsp Black pepper
1 cup Dry white wine
¼ cup Mascarpone cheese
¼ cup Grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp Fresh parsley, finely chopped
1) Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and steam until potatoes are tender. Allow to cool and then cut in half and scoop the potato out of the skin. Puree with a food processor or regular blender until smooth. Stir in about ¼ cup of water.
2) In a sauce pan bring chicken stock to a simmer, do not boil.
3) Place bacon in a large cold skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Once bacon has cooled, crumble or chop into small pieces.
4) Add olive oil and mushrooms to skillet and sauté until starting to brown. Add onion and continue sautéing until onions are translucent.
5) Stir in thyme, sage, ½ tsp salt and pepper. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes more. Add wine, stirring continuously, until it has evaporated.
6) Start stirring stock in, one ladle at a time, stirring continuously and adding the next ladle when the liquid has nearly evaporated.
7) Once all of the stock has been added, stir in the sweet potato puree, mascarpone and parmesan, until melted and fully incorporated.
8) Stir in remaining ½ tsp salt and parsley.
9) Top risotto with bacon bits. Serve with additional parmesan and black pepper