- 2 Certified Organic Chicken Marylands or 4 bone-in chicken pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds saved for garnish
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can crushed roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock (or 1 cup chicken stock + 1/2 cup dry white wine)
Season chicken with salt and sweet smoked paprika. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour, preferably overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet or roasting pan over medium-high heat and sear chicken for 2-4 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate, and cover loosely with foil.
Reduce heat to medium, add onion, garlic, capsicum and fennel. Sauté for 5-8 minutes until fennel is soft. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and chilli flakes, and stir. Simmer for 5 more minutes to combine flavour, then add chicken back to the skillet.
Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven, garnish with fennel fronds and serve with crusty bread or your choice of side.