- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 orange, 4 zest strips removed, juiced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 long fresh red chilli, halved lengthways
SOBA NOODLE SALAD
- 180g soba noodles
- 1 cup podded edamame, thawed
- 2 large carrots, peeled, shredded
- 3 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Whisk together all marinade ingredients. Place chicken in a large glass or ceramic dish and pour over marinade, turning to coat. Leave to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat an enclosed barbecue on medium-low. Line a baking dish with baking paper. Remove chicken from dish, reserving some marinade. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season. Grill skin-side up for 10 minutes. Turn upside down and grill for 6 minutes. Transfer chicken skin-side up to lined dish.
Reduce heat to low. Place dish on barbecue. Cook with hood closed for 10 minutes. Lightly baste with reserved marinade. Cook covered for a further 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside to rest, then halve the chicken.
To make your salad, cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions, adding edamame for the last minute of cooking. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
Combine noodles, edamame, carrot and shallots in a large serving dish. Place sesame seeds in a mortar and pound with a pestle until lightly crushed. Add the tamari, mirin, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil and stir to combine. Arrange chicken on top of salad and pour over dressing to serve.