- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.8kg beef brisket
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio kernels
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- steamed couscous, to serve
- plain Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
Preheat oven to 180C/160C, fan assisted.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef for 5 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion to pan and cook until it starts to brown. Add ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, mixed spice, cardamom and cinnamon, and stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock and 1 cup water and bring to a simmer. Return beef to pan, cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 4 hours, turning beef halfway through. Add apricots around beef and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until beef is tender.
Remove beef from oven, place on a large plate and drizzle with honey. Top with pomegranate and pistachios. Serve with couscous, fresh mint and yoghurt.