- 140ml extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Certified Organic BBQ Beef Sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stalks chopped, leaves picked
- 1 bunch baby leeks, or small 2 leeks, trimmed & halved lengthways
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 200g pearl barley
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 50g grated parmesan, plus parmesan rind
- 1 bunch basil, leaves picked
- watercress (or rocket) to serve
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a casserole dish over medium heat. Add sausages and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned, then remove from pan.
Add onion and parsley stalks. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add leeks, 2 garlic cloves and thyme and cook for a further minute until fragrant. Add barley and stir to coat. Add the wine, stock, 500ml water, vinegar, parmesan rind and bring to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes.
Return sausages to the pan, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid has been soaked up and barley is tender. Add water if needed.
For the pesto, combine parsley and basil leaves in a food processor with 100ml oil, parmesan and 1 garlic clove. Season, then whiz until finely chopped. Remove parmesan rind from casserole.
Serve sausages and barley with pesto and a handful of watercress.